1984 Online Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Beaaaaaaa

Your worst enemy was your own nervous system Empty Your worst enemy was your own nervous system

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:18 pm
‘‘Your worst enemy, he reflected, was your own nervous system.’’ - [i]Chapter 6 - 1984 by George Orwell[/i

The entire society of Oceania is controlled by The Inner Party, namely the head leader Big Brother. At any moment, the citizens could be reprimanded for their actions, their thoughts and the words they express. This quote brings up situational irony as Winston blames himself for his downfall rather than blaming the inner party. This supports the notion that the citizens of Oceania are being brainwashed. They believe they are to blame for their actions and thus fail to criticize the society they are in. It is also important to mention that Winston is not oblivious to the negative impacts the inner party has on the citizens of Oceania. On multiple occasions, he criticizes the entire concept of society. This evokes the concept of doublethink as he is able to hold two opinions on the same topic.
CharlesEnglishClass666

Your worst enemy was your own nervous system Empty Re: Your worst enemy was your own nervous system

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 pm
While I agree with your analysis, I think you could've gone bit further. Upon reading this passage, I adopted the thought that what Winston is insinuating is that one's own nervous system can literally betray oneself. What I mean by this is that one's nervous system may cause one to act in a way that would reveal one's ulterior thoughts. For example, if one would were to have an anti-party sentiment, one's own nervous system could cause he or she to twitch, sweat, fidget, or hyperventilate upon seeing, for instance, a poster of Big Brother. These bodily reactions, caused by the nervous system, would reveal one's honest sentiments which could result in being taken into custody by the Thought Police.

I hope that by presenting a different analysis of your chosen quote I have open a "third eye" per se, enacting you to perhaps adopt a different outlook. Thank you and have a wonderful day Smile
lionelguilbeaultsmart

Your worst enemy was your own nervous system Empty Re: Your worst enemy was your own nervous system

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:51 pm
Hi Beatrice, I agree with Charles' response, the ennemy is the party, your nervous system could at anytime indicate to the party that you are their enemy without you noticing macking it your worst enemy in this at this moment in the book. Winston was always very aware of his actions and what would be suspicious the party, he was only caught after telling Obrian about the place, not betrayed by his nervous system or his actions.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum