1984 Online Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
lionelguilbeaultsmart

Lionel Qoatation analysis Empty Lionel Qoatation analysis

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:03 am
Winston was the character who hated Big Brother the most in the novel. He was always thinking about the lies that the party had told him and how life was much better before the party was established. However, after his ‘treatment’ at the ministry of truth’, he completely changed his mind, he was completely broken by the bad treatment and Humiliation that had had received from the party. In the quotation ‘‘He had won the victory over himself, he loved Big Brother.’’ (Orwell 239) Winston has a good feeling from loving Big Brother, his mind had completely stopped fighting for the truth and was completely at rest. Winston was completely broken after the treatment that he received in room 101 where he betrayed Julia. After then, Winston loved only Big Brother and only Big Brother.
Kiana Wong

Lionel Qoatation analysis Empty Re: Lionel Qoatation analysis

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:01 am
Hi Lionel!
I believe this was a very memorable moment in the novel. In fact it is very true that Winston's mindset about destroying the Party and their beliefs changed after his time spent in Room 101. By analyzing your quote, I personally would like to add that Winston not only lost his opinion about Big Brother but lost confidence in himself. Therefore, after multiple beatings and pain he was able to put aside that anger and transform it into appreciation. In this case, I feel that Winston is appreciating his existence rather than his mind. He always had the objective of rebelling against the Party and finding peace, although with time he realized that there are no secrets that can be hidden from the Party itself. An example of this would be when O'Brien turned off his TV but Winston was unaware that the camera was hidden elsewhere. This just shows that there is no one to trust, even himself. either way the Party finds out. Thus, he was able to admit his victory over himself, meaning he lost what he thought he could win and has embraced the thought of Big Brother and how no suffering will arise if he finally obeys the rules. Because in the end, he's by himself where Big Brother is always watching...
Hans Barrera

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:33 pm
I agree with Kiana on this subject. In the ministry of love, Winston was beaten and humiliated by O’Brien, an example of this is when O’Brien makes Winston undress and look at himself in the mirror, which leads him to lose any sort of confidence he had about himself. I also agree that Winston is now very appreciative of his existence since he ends up living the rest of his life like any sort of citizens in Oceania, he goes to the café and even working for the Party with other people like him.

I would also like to add that the “victory over himself” is very important in this quote. Those 3 words show how truly different Winston now is, he thinks and acts like the Party wants him to. Winston has been completely brainwashed that he now sees his old self as an enemy that Big Brother and the Party has helped him to overcome in order to finally love Big Brother.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum