1984 Online Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Lishchynski.Roman

1984 Quotation analysis - Roman Lishchynski Empty 1984 Quotation analysis - Roman Lishchynski

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:20 pm
«Winston could not definitely remember a time when his country had not been at war, but it was evident that there had been a fairly long interval of peace during his childhood, because one of his early memories was of an air raid, which appeared to take everyone by surprise. Perhaps it was the time when the atomic bomb had fallen on Colchester. He did not remember the raid itself»

In this quotation, WInston is showing us that he does not remember a time without war (although a period of peace may have existed that he does not remember). This tells the reader several things;  it tells us that the control that the totalitarian system WInston lives is has a huge amount of power over the recollection of its citizens. It also tells us that war is a huge part of the lives of the civilians. Our society today is comparable to this in that war is present in our minds on a day to day basis. the control that the government has over what we remember isn’t the same as in the novel however, they can control what they tell us and what is kept secret.
MmeBrazeau
MmeBrazeau
Admin
https://1984.forumactif.com

1984 Quotation analysis - Roman Lishchynski Empty Re: 1984 Quotation analysis - Roman Lishchynski

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:20 pm
Great analysis, Roman!

When I read this quote, I immediately think of you guys (and girls... I use "guys" inclusively). Most of you were born in the year 2000... this means that you've never really known a pre-9/11 world. You have never lived in a age where a passport was not[i] required to cross the US border. You've never seen an airport that [i]didn't have airtight security. You've never been able to bring liquids, etc., on a plane. There wasn't always this *extreme" fear of terrorism and this impression of living under constant threat. (There were other fears, other threats, YES, but not these specifically). I guess one of the reasons I - and so many other people my age - love this novel so much is because we are able to identify with the protagonist: I remember a time that was a bit more peaceful, a bit calmer.

Either that, or I was just looking at life through rose-coloured glasses, and experiencing it through the eyes of a child...
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum